Sunday, July 6, 2008

Goals for Homeschooling - Part 2

Have you read my "Goals for Homeschooling" post? If not, take a look at it! This post might make a little more sense, if you do. LOL!

As you were reading my Goals for Homeschooling, did you notice one missing? One that a lot of parents will/would probably put on their lists? Yep, you guessed it! I did NOT put on my list "I want my children to excell academically" or "I want my children to be the best in Math, Science, etc" or "I want my children to place in the top 5 percent of achievement tests". And you didn't see "I want my children to go to the most prestigious college". No, you won't see any of those goals on my list. Why not?

Well, first of all, it's not because my husband and I aren't smart, college-educated people. I did very well in school. I went for about 5 years to college (didn't finish to get my degree, just wanted to be a mommy - long story, tell ya later). My DH got is degree in Computer Information Systems, and made very high grades. Anyway, not trying to brag here, I'm just trying to show you that we do value college educations and getting good grades.

But we value a good, solid relationship with God more.

More important than any academics is knowlege and understanding of the Bible and God's truths. What we want for our children more than anything is for them to grow up to be loving, caring Christians who put God first before their jobs/careers.

When we get to Heaven, God isn't going to ask us how much money we made or how many rungs on the career ladder we climbed. He's going to ask us how many people at work we witnessed to and how many people we led to Christ.

I don't know if I've done a very good job at explaining this. Hopefully you get the main idea of it. God first - academics second. :)



1 comment:

  1. Nicely said.

    I also have a friend in our homeschool group who sums it up well. Their goal for their children is to be "academically adequate; but spiritually excellent". I like that perspective.

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha' think?